The UFC rescheduled the contest for this October, but Koch has since gone down with an injury and will not be able to make it. Instead, Frankie Edgar will face Aldo for the title at UFC 153: Aldo vs. Edgar in Brazil.
For Koch, it is just a string of continued missed opportunities that have hit him hard. He suffered a partially torn MCL, a similar injury to the one that took Dan Henderson out of a meeting with Jon Jones.
"It's frustrating because I'd done so much PR for this guy, I trained my butt off for this guy, and to get right there and then to have it all change that fast; it's a lot to deal with," said Koch, in a recent interview with ESPN. "But I'm just trying to keep my head up; I'm happy I don't need surgery. I know my body and I knew that whatever (the injury) was, it wasn't good."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Koch (13-1) is on a four-fight win streak, but hasn't competed since last September. Still, he's determined to compete for the title as soon as he is able to.
"I want the (Aldo-Edgar) winner," Koch said. "That's up to the UFC. The biggest thing is I just want to fight."
- Rashad Evans Makes Peace With Jon Jones
- Kyra Gracie On Transitioning Into MMA
- Kyle Kingsbury Receives Minor Injuries In Motorcycle Accident
- Joe Warren Ask For One More Chance In Bellator's Bantamweight Division
- Tyson Nam Willing To Re-Sign With Bellator At The Right Price
- Frankie Edgar Has Been Training To Fight Champions His Entire Career
- Anderson Silva Wants To Compete In MMA Until He's 43 Years Old
- MMA Fighter Pleads Guilty To Murder
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline