UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is a huge star on a worldly basis when it comes to MMA. However, Silva's popularity in his native country of Brazil is even larger, according to manager Ed Soares.
Silva recently competed in Brazil, defeating Stephan Bonnar via TKO in the first round. "The Spider" has become one of - if not the top - fighter in the world.
"He's bigger than Kobe Bryant and LeBron James (in Brazil)," said Soares, while appearing on The MMA Hour recently. "He's bigger than that (in Brazil). It's crazy. Every time I go there, I don't think it can get any bigger - but he seems to get even bigger."
Silva owns a UFC-best 15-fight win streak, including 14 finishes inside the Octagon. Soares, who works closely with Silva, has seen first-hand just what it's like walking the streets of Brazil with him.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"Everywhere he goes, everybody's like, 'Hey champ, you're the greatest. Can I get you this? Can I get you that?' It'll get anybody a little bit tripped out," Silva said. "I think he's kind of filling into the shoes that he's become. He's doing a great job with it."
- Matt Riddle, Francisco Rivera Suspended For Failed Drug Tests
- Is Anderson Silva Already Budging On Jon Jones Super-Fight?
- Bellator 77 Weigh-In Results: Lightweight Tourney Quarters Official
- Shane Carwin Continues Rehab For Injured Knee Ahead Of TUF 16 Finale Fight
- Jon Jones Doing MMA A Favor Taking Out Chael Sonnen
- Gilbert Yvel Scratched From RFA 4 Main Event
- Anderson Silva's Legacy Continues To Grow In Brazil
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.