Urijah Faber (26-7) thinks he's still in the championship hunt, despite being 2-2 since he debuted for the UFC.
"At this point, right now, there are really three guys at the top of the weight division," Faber told Sherdog. "It's me, [Renan] Barão and [Dominick] Cruz. I feel like I beat Cruz the last time and had a tough fight against Barão."
Cruz successfully defended his bantamweight championship against Faber at UFC 132 via unanimous decision. They were scheduled for a championship rematch, but an injury forced Cruz out of the fight. Barão was named as his replacement, with the winner being the interim champion. Faber lost in another unanimous decision.
Looking back at his fight with Barão, Faber wasn't thrilled with how everything played out.
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
"It was kind of uneventful to be honest with you," said Faber. "I landed 10 kicks; he landed 20 kicks so maybe that was the difference. He moved forward a little more and I couldn't really mix things up, partially because of the broken rib in the first round."
Despite losing both times when UFC gold was on the line, Faber feels he's only a few wins from another shot.
"I'm right there with the top guys," said Faber. "I suffered a broken rib with a guy who's on a 30 fight win streak and is now the interim champion and lost a very close decision, that I thought I won, to the current champion. I'm right there. It just means beating whoever they think is close and winning a couple of fights."
Faber is currently out of the action with a broken rib.
- Video: Weigh-Ins For ONE FC 5: Pride Of A Nation
- Anderson Silva: "A Lot Of People Thought I Was Gay" Growing Up
- Official Numbers Come In For UFC 150: Henderson Vs. Edgar II
- TUF Winner Michael Chiesa Returns To Action Vs. Rafaello Oliveira This December
- Joseph Benavidez Plans To Exploit Demetrious Johnson’s Weak Spot
- Thales Leites Responds To Anderson Silva's Recent Remarks
- Eddie Yagin-Dennis Siver Finds Home At UFC On Fox 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.