Social media may have gotten the best of Miguel Torres (40-5) after all. Torres was released by the UFC in December 2011 for tweeting a rape joke, but was rehired weeks later after Dana White said he apologized for the inappropriate comment. He would be released once more in August 2012, months after he was defeated in his last fight.
According to Dave Meltzer, of The Wrestling Observer, this recent release was more of a disciplinary action and may of had nothing to do with his abilities inside the Octagon. Meltzer wrote:
"The cutting of Miguel Torres was disciplinary in nature although it was not said what the cause was, only that he was cut. His record wasn't bad, with a knockout loss to Michael McDonald who is going to be a top star (provided his hands don't keep betraying him as he's already broken them a couple of times) and a close loss to Demetrious Johnson, both top guys. He made the rape joke on twitter and was fired, then brought back, and apparently he made some sort of a similar mistake."
The tweet that garnered Torres heat was, "If a rape van was called a surprise van more women wouldn't mind going for rides in them. Everyone likes surprises."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Torres was 2-2 in the UFC at the time of his last release. Not long after his release, Torres signed with TFC.
- UFC Gearing Up For Japan-Based Series Of Events In 2013
- Jon Jones Asks Rashad Evans If He Is Becoming A "Brother" To Vitor Belfort
- Anderson Silva Admits He Didn't Finish Thales Leites Because "He's A Friend"
- Amanda Nunes-Cat Zingano Added To Strikeforce Event In September
- "Countdown To UFC 152" Debuts September 18
- TUF Vet Josh Ferguson Released From UFC
- Update On King Mo's Knee Injury, Timetable For Return
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.