Ricardo Lamas informed Fight Club Chicago that he accepted a fight with former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar a few weeks ago. Instead, Edgar was offered a shot at UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, which he signed.
"The UFC offered me a fight with Edgar in December and we had accepted," Lamas said. "We were waiting to hear back from Sean Shelby on Edgar's side."
Lamas (12-2) scored an upset victory over Hatsu Hioki earlier this year, his third straight win since entering the UFC. He finished both Cub Swanson and Matt Grice in 2011.
"We accepted and were waiting for confirmation before we could announce it," Lamas said. "This took place about two weeks ago, but wasn't signed."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
UFC 153: Aldo vs. Edgar will take place this October from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Lamas does not have a future fight signed to date.
- UFC Boss Has "No Regrets" Over Cancelling UFC 151
- Lyoto Machida's Decision To Pass On Title Shot Moves Him Down The Line
- Foot Injury Could Keep Mark Munoz Sidelined For Over A Year
- Dana White Confirms Georges St-Pierre Vs. Anderson Silva In The Plans
- Teams For The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes Announced
- Odds Of Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza Fighting In November Looking Slim
- Tyson Nam, Bellator Contract Dispute Continues
- Video: Full Trailer For MMA-Inspired Film "Here Comes The Boom"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline