Demetrious Johnson is a prime example for what hard work and determination can become. Johnson earned a decision victory over Joseph Benavidez Saturday evening at UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort, becoming the first-ever UFC flyweight champion in the process.
"It feels good," said Johnson, on Fuel TV following the win. "I started this sport as a hobby and I worked my butt off. Hard work pays off; it's all about hard work."
Johnson's quickness was too much for the powerful Benavidez to contend with, as "Mighty Mouse" was able to avoid any punishing blows from his opponent, and even scored several takedowns on the fellow grappler.
"I am happy that I am a champion," Johnson said. "This is just the very beginning for me. I am going to go back to the gym to work harder. That is what it's about; always working harder and shooting for me."
Johnson was previously defeated in his first attempt at becoming at UFC champion, as Dominick Cruz pulled out a decision victory in the bantamweight ranks. Once the UFC decided to include the flyweight division, Johnson was able to enter a weight class more suited to his body.
- Stitch Duran Claims Charles Oliveira Suffered Injury Before UFC 152 Fight
- Showtime Issues Statement In Regards To Cancellation
- More Taunting From Chael Sonnen Towards Jon Jones
- TJ Grant Finds New Home As A Lightweight
- UFC 152 Injury Report Includes Jon Jones
- Daniel Cormier On UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones
- Shoulder Injury Derailed Gilbert Melendez-Pat Healy Fight
- Brett Rogers Has A New Home With American Top Team
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.