Ultimate Challenge MMA (UCMMA) has decided to create an interim heavyweight championship after news broke that the current holder Darren Towler (9-6) could be out of action until 2013. The champion had apparently ripped his shoulder muscle.
Towler took the injury hard apologizing to his opponent, the organization and the fans that purchased tickets.
"I am totally gutted to have drop out of such a big fight on a big stage," said Towler to Sherdog. "I love to fight [for] UCMMA, and I was looking forward to defending my silverware and bringing the win home [for] Christmas."
Neil Grove (11-6-1) was set to challenge for the title at UCMMA 31. He will now fight Tomasz Czerwinski (4-6) in the main event. Towler still hopes to fight Grove when he returns from injury.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Towler has been champion since September of last year. Grove is a former Bellator fighter who is searching for his first win since July 2011. Czerwinski is 2-3 for UCMMA and recently ended a three fight losing streak over the summer.
UCMMA 31 takes place December 1 from The Troxy in London.
- Dan Hardy Interested In Josh Koscheck, Not Matt Riddle
- Alistair Overeem, Golden Glory Settle Lawsuits
- Vinny Magalhaes Takes Shot At Matt Hamill
- UFC On Fox 5 Prelims Headed For FX
- Urijah Faber Back To Training Full-Time
- Andrei Arlovski Headed For Russia, December Showdown With Mike Hayes
- MMA Veteran Rich Clementi Retires From Fighting
- Family Member Cast Doubts That Kyra Gracie Can Join MMA
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.