After the first five minutes, it looked like it would be a short night of work for Diego Brandao. However, Brandao failed to put Darren Elkins away, and Elkins responded to claim a decision victory in the prelim main event of UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir.
Elkins improved to 3-0 as a featherweight in the UFC, adding to his victories last year over Tiequan Zhang and Michihiro Omigawa. The former high school wrestling champion controlled the action on the ground, and nearly submitted Brandao several times.
"My whole camp (we trained knowing) he comes out hard, comes out swinging, and fights with a lot of emotion," Elkins said. "You have to survive, find a rhythm and go from there (against that)."
Brandao was coming off his victorious run through The Ultimate Fighter, as he was crowned the first featherweight champion of the show. However, he failed to keep the same pace he set in the opening round.
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
- Video: Junior Dos Santos Vs. Frank Mir Highlights
- Dana White Talks Arianny Celeste's Arrest
- Video: Cain Velasquez Vs. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva Highlights
- Dana White Hints At Brock Lesnar's Return
- Jason "Mayhem" Miller Cut From UFC
- Vitor Belfort Out Of UFC 147 With Broken Hand
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Live Gate And Attendance
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Fight Night Bonuses
- UFC 146: Junior Dos Santos Vs. Frank Mir
- Frank Mir No Match For Junior Dos Santos And His Boxing
- Statement Made By Cain Velasquez With Stoppage Of Antonio Silva
- UFC 146: Cain Velasquez Vs. Antonio Silva
- Roy Nelson Drops Dave Herman With One Punch KO
- UFC 146: Roy Nelson Vs. Dave Herman
- Stipe Miocic Remains Undefeated, Deals Shane Del Rosario His First Career Loss In Process
- UFC 146: Stipe Miocic Vs. Shane Del Rosario
- Stefan Struve Puts His Submission Skills On Display Again Vs. Lavar Johnson
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.