With a future featherweight championship lined up, Daniel Straus (21-4) decided he couldn't wait for the current champion and asked for an early fight. He was granted his wish and at Bellator 78 Straus defeated Alvin Robinson (12-7) with a second round submission.
"Just another night at the office," said Straus to MMA Junkie. "Fighting Alvin Robinson was a blessing. He's a tough guy. I'm just trying to get better and get better each time I fight."
The stoppage marks Straus' first one in his last seven fights. With the exception of a loss to Patricio Freire in 2011, Straus has won 17 of his last 18 fights. Straus and Freire are currently both the No. 1 contender to Pat Curran's (17-4) championship. Freire remains the right to challenge Curran first as he won the earlier tournament.
Straus has no prediction on who wins that fight because he has something more important on his mind.
"I'm just looking to get that belt around my waist," said Straus.
- Josh Koscheck Reports Possible Nick Diaz Fight
- Gilbert Melendez Could Go To UFC "Anytime" Says Cesar Gracie
- UFC On Fox 5 Loaded With 13 Bouts
- Change Made To UFC 154 Fight Card Lineup
- WSOF Matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz Promises Every Card Will Be Packed With Action
- Strikeforce’s Evangelista Santos Jumps Ship To Legacy FC
- Tim Gorman Goes From Bar Fighter To Championship Contender
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.