Cormier, who claimed the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix title earlier this year, is set to meet Frank Mir in his final fight with the promotion before joining the ranks of the UFC. In an interview with BJPenn.com, "DC" said he would be willing to trade blows with "Bones" inside the Octagon.
"Right now, no one wants to fight Jon Jones, but s**t, I'll do it; I'll fight Jon Jones," Cormier said. "Guys are turning down the fight; you have to go to an old-school fighter like Vitor Belfort to step up to the plate. That's no knock on (Lyoto) Machida or Shogun (Rua), but if those guys want to coach on The Ultimate Fighter, (then) move off to the side and let me fight Jones. I'll do it. If no one wants the title shot, give it to Daniel!"
Cormier has said previously that if Cain Velasquez captures the UFC heavyweight title, he would not meet Velasquez, a close friend and training partner at American Kickboxing Academy. Instead, the former Olympian would try to make light heavyweight and possibly face Jones for the belt.
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
Jones is set to face Belfort at UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort on September 22. No official date for Cormier-Mir has been confirmed by Strikeforce.
- UFC Gearing Up For Japan-Based Series Of Events In 2013
- Jon Jones Asks Rashad Evans If He Is Becoming A "Brother" To Vitor Belfort
- Anderson Silva Admits He Didn't Finish Thales Leites Because "He's A Friend"
- Amanda Nunes-Cat Zingano Added To Strikeforce Event In September
- "Countdown To UFC 152" Debuts September 18
- TUF Vet Josh Ferguson Released From UFC
- Update On King Mo's Knee Injury, Timetable For Return
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.