Before it was announced that Frank Mir would be replacing Alistair Overeem against Junior dos Santos in the main event of UFC 146 and before Overeem appeared in front of a strangely complimentary Nevada State Athletic Commission to answer for his elevated T:E ratio, UFC president Dana White told media that he would have to hold his tongue on the situation, otherwise, he would to loose his cool.
That was then, this is now.
DFW appeared on the Jim Rome show today, where he finally sounded off on the whole Overeem situation.
I wasn't very optimistic about his chances (of getting licensed). I didn't think that things were gonna turn out very well for him. As expected. Nine months? Nine months isn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I thought he'd get a year. Easily a year. Here's the rules: if that's the case, if he was on anti-inflammatory meds or whatever the deal was, you're supposed to disclose that to the commission before you get any drug tests. …
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Whatever medicine you're on, you're supposed to tell them before you test, not after you test. I'm not a fan. I'm not a fan at all. You're not gonna hear me today on your radio show defending Alistair Overeem, believe me. I don't know (if we'll cut him or not), we'll see what happens. We'll see what happens, man.
As if tanking a highly-anticipated main event fight and bringing much negative press to the UFC weren't enough, White thinks Overeem added insult to injury by lying to him about being a clean fighter.
Before he went in there, he sat down in a lunch with me and my partners, looked us in the face and said, 'I'm the most tested athlete in all of sports. They can test me whenever they want to.' He flew in for the press conference, they tested him and now he's on a nine-month suspension. He claims that he was on anti-inflammatories, which he should have told them before he tested. I know he lied to me.
I don't like it. You know, you sit down and you have these guys that you do business with and you say, 'Listen, be honest with me. What's going on here? Let's figure out how we can work together and how we can do business together.' And if they'll sit in front of you and lie to your face? I don't know, not the kind of guys I want to do business with.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Maybe Overeem won't make it onto that year-end show after all…
- Video: Alistair Overeem's NSAC Hearing
- Falcao-Spang Winner To Face Alexander Shlemenko For Vacant Title
- Vinny Magalhaes Blames Extended Absence On M-1 Global
- Video: Georges St-Pierre's And His Road Back To The Octagon
- Free From Bellator, Jay Hieron To Try Luck With Legacy FC
- Dana White Calls Overeem Liar, Says Future With UFC Uncertain
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Fighter Salaries
- Keith Kizer Says No Issues Will Come In Chael Sonnen Receiving His Fight License
- Only A Title Shot Would Get Chuck Liddell Out Of Retirement
- Chael Sonnen "Embarassed" For Anderson Silva
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Cheick Kongo On Tap For "UFC 149"
- Frank Mir Wants To See Alistair Overeem Receive Another Shot In UFC
- Mark Munoz Vs. Chris Weidman Slated For Main Event Of "UFC On FUEL TV 4"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.