"I don't know, we'll find out soon though," said White. "We'll see."
Barnett was a part of the UFC a decade ago where he won their heavyweight title. He was stripped of it after the fight for testing positive for steroids. Since then, Barnett has fought across the globe including stays with Pride and Strikeforce. He has been with Strikeforce since 2011 and is 2-1.
In Barnett's last Strikeforce outing in 2012, he was defeated by Daniel Cormier (10-0) in the finals of the Heavyweight Grand Prix. White hinted that the loss to Cormier could weigh heavy if Barnett is allowed to rejoin the UFC ranks.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"What I said was true, the fact that [Daniel Cormier] beat Josh Barnett, that really means something," said White. "That's a big deal."
Barnett will meet Nandor Guelmino (11-3-1) at Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine on January 12. The show airs from the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, OK on Showtime and will be the final Strikeforce card as they prepare to cease operations.
- Bellator Counters UFC’s Contract For Eddie Alvarez
- Jason Lambert And Hector Ramirez Added To Bellator 85
- Pat Healy’s Strikeforce Opponent Finally Revealed
- Paige VanZant Couldn’t Resist Invicta FC’s Offer
- UFC Hall Of Famer Dan Severn Retires
- Lucas Martins Tabbed To Face Edson Barboza At UFC On FX 7
- Bellator And Paul Daley Reach An Agreement
- Bobby Voelker Excited To Make UFC Debut Vs. Patrick Cote
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.