UFC president Dana White was willing to listen to the negative responses from fans when he announced Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Brandon Vera as a No. 1 contender match. The two will still have a chance to secure a shot at the belt Saturday night at UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera, but so will Ryan Bader and Lyoto Machida.
During the pre-fight press conference from Los Angeles on Thursday, White asked that fans also wait to judge the fights until they happen.
"If it sucks on Saturday, I'll be the first to let you know," White said. "Don't judge fights until they happen."
Some have complained about Vera's opportunity, but White cited his willingness to step up and face Rua, a former UFC 205-pound champion.
"I look at my job and give the fans what they want," White said. "They decide what they want to see and they were not thrilled with just the main event being up for a title shot. Now, the co- and main event fights are."
FightLine will have complete coverage of the entire event beginning Saturday night with the prelims.
- Rashad Evans-Chael Sonnen? Just Maybe
- Ryan Bader Wants Redemption For TUF Incident With Lyoto Machida
- Coach For Dominick Cruz Feels Like He Will Recover 100-Percent
- Bellator 73 To Feature Title Fight, Two Tourney Finals This Month
- Video: Frankie Edgar's Series "155 Reasons" Continues With New Episode
- One Person Feels Like Retirement Is Needed For Matt Hughes, Forrest Griffin
- Jon Jones Offers Up His Take On Saturday's Light Heavyweight Bouts
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline