Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is set to make her first title defense against Sarah Kaufman later this summer, but already people are picking out her next opponent.
And because everyone loves a good grudge match, most have their eyes on Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos. Santos is currently serving out a suspension for testing positive for a banned substance and the two fighters got into it when Rousey chided her for it. Add to that the fact that Cyborg and Rousey are probably the two best female fighters out there and you've got the perfect recipe for a big fight -- one that Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker believes is bound to happen.
"I think that's gonna be inevitable," Coker said of the fight to MMAFighting. "I think that fight will happen at some point. We're just waiting for Cyborg to get off her suspension. But, that conversation will happen once she's back and ready to fight. Because her and Ronda at 135, that might be the highest rated show on Showtime for the year or for the past fights we've done."
Rousey vs. Kaufman is on the books first and currently has no set date, but is tentatively scheduled for late summer.
- 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale' Medical Suspensions
- Three Fights Added To UFC 150 From Denver
- Video: Outtakes From Anderson Silva's Budweiser Commercial
- Chris Clements Steps In For Alves Against Bahadurzada
- Bibiano Fernandes Set To Make UFC Debut
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Fighter Payouts
- Jon Fitch Sidelined By Knee Injury
- Report: DREAM Closes Its Doors For Good
- Video: UFC Fighters Discuss Jon Jones' Recent DUI Arrest
- Joe Stevenson To Fight For Resurrection Fighting Alliance On June 30
- Gilbert Melendez Vs. Eddie Alvarez "Would Be Fantastic" According To Scott Coker