Former Strikeforce women's featherweight champ Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos will be serving out the full yearlong suspension she was given by the California State Athletic Commission for testing positive for banned substances.
At a Strikeforce event held in San Diego this past December, Santos defeated Hiroko Yamanaka via TKO to make her third title defense. She tested positive for the anabolic steroid stanazolol post-fight, was stripped of her title, fined and suspended, and the victory was changed to a no contest.
The fighter attempted to have the suspension reduced to six months in a hearing before the CSAC today, but had her appeal denied.
"I want to thank all my fans, friends, coaches, Legal Counsel, sponsors, who are with me," Santos posted to Facebook. "Unfortunately we could not reduce my penalty. I'm sad ... But after a storm in the morning see the sun shine. Nothing like a day after another day .. Soon will come back better than ever I promise. Thank my God always keep praising You."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Santos will be able to reapply for licensure to fight in the state of California (and most other states, by extension) one year from the date of her fight with Yamanaka, which falls on December 17, 2012.
- Reminder: Jones And Evans To Appear On "UFC Ultimate Insider" Tonight
- CSAC Amendment Would Allow TUEs For Marijuana And TRT
- Thiago Alves Vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama Possible For UFC 149
- Randy Couture Names MMA's Pound-For-Pound Best
- Video: New "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Promo
- Cain Velasquez Competes In Charity Race This Friday
- Bas Rutten, Joe Rogan, The Voice And Josh Barnett On PEDS In MMA
- Undercard For Bellator 65 This Friday Announced
- Injury Will Postpone Cole Konrad - Eric Prindle Heavyweight Title Fight
- "UFC On Fuel TV: Gustafsson Vs. Silva" Final Card, Live Coverage Saturday
- Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney Wants To Remain Full-Speed Ahead
- Record-Low Numbers For "UFC Primetime: Jones Vs. Evans" Debut Episode
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.