Cheick Kongo responded to claims he declined a fight with Roy Nelson because he didn't want to face "Big Country" in December via Twitter over the weekend. After an injury to Shane Carwin, the UFC asked Kongo to face Nelson at The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale next month.
"I did NOT REFUSE to FIGHT Roy Nelson," Kongo posted. "I REFUSED to TAKE A FIGHT on SHORT NOTICE. Which is NOT THE SAME AT ALL."
Kongo defeated Shawn Jordan earlier this year, improving to 17-8-2 in his career and 4-1-1 in his last six fights overall.
The UFC signed Matt Mitrione, who lost via decision to Kongo last year, to face Nelson on December 14 from Las Vegas.
- Dan Hardy Interested In Josh Koscheck, Not Matt Riddle
- Alistair Overeem, Golden Glory Settle Lawsuits
- Vinny Magalhaes Takes Shot At Matt Hamill
- UFC On Fox 5 Prelims Headed For FX
- Urijah Faber Back To Training Full-Time
- Andrei Arlovski Headed For Russia, December Showdown With Mike Hayes
- MMA Veteran Rich Clementi Retires From Fighting
- Family Member Cast Doubts That Kyra Gracie Can Join MMA
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.