On Tuesday at UFC on FUEL TV 3, Chan Sung Jung solidified himself as the frontrunner to challenge for the featherweight belt after Jose Aldo and Erik Koch have at it later this summer.
Considered to be a wide underdog against Poirier, Jung defied expectations by submitting the 23-year-old prospect in the fourth round. And The Korean Zombie dominated most all of the action preceding that point, looking in the best technical form he has yet. The win caps off a three-fight streak that features his 2011 Submission of the Year (twister) win over Leonard Garcia and his seven-second knockout of Mark Hominick.
Considering this, UFC officials announced two nights ago that Jung was next in line for the belt. Speaking at the post-fight press conference, Jung said that the shot feels deserved.
"I think that I definitely made a statement about being able to go into the title match this year," Jung said. "Honestly, if the fight had gone to a decision, I probably wouldn't have been saying that as definitively. But I think I made the statement."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Aldo and Koch are scheduled to meet at UFC 149 this July 21 in Calgary; Jung presumably awaits the winner.
- Struve And Johnson Talk Short Notice Opponent Switch
- Mark Hunt Injured, Replaced At UFC 146 By Lavar Johnson
- Erick Silva Confident He Will KO Brenneman
- UFC On FUEL TV 3 Ratings Continue To Drop
- UFC On FUEL TV 3 Fighter Salaries
- B.J. Penn Declines Bout With Josh Koscheck
- Bellator 69 Weigh-In Results; Falcao Over By Two Pounds
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Conference Call Notes And Quotes
- Video: Cain Velasquez Part Of Team AKA Fighter Diary
- Anthony Pettis Not A Likely Candidate For Donald Cerrone At UFC 150
- Josh Koscheck Wants BJ Penn Fight, But Does Penn?
- Korean Zombie On Last Night's Big Win: I Made A Statement
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" Coming To FUEL TV
- Fighting Entertainment Group (FEG) Declaring Bankruptcy
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.