In betting terms, the greatest MMA upset of all-time was when Matt Serra shocked Georges St-Pierre at UFC 69 and won the UFC welterweight title. Well, if Vitor Belfort can stun UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, he'll join some elusive history.
The two 205-pounders will lock up on September 22 at UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort. The card takes place from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.
According to noted MMA oddsmaker Joey Oddessa in an interview with MMAjunkie.com, Jones is a 13-to-1 early favorite over the former UFC light heavyweight champion.
"You can't make the line high enough for Jones vs. Belfort," Oddessa said.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Jones (16-1) was scheduled to face Dan Henderson next Saturday night, but a knee injury forced Henderson out. The UFC asked Lyoto Machida to take the fight, but he turned them down. The next opportunity went to Chael Sonnen, but Jones refused that fight.
It appeared as if Jones and Machida were on a collision course for UFC 152, but news broke Friday morning that "The Dragon" would not sign the contract. So, after asking Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, who also turned them down, the UFC went to Belfort (21-9).
- Bellator Featherweight Interim Championship Fight Being Discussed
- Vladmir Matyushenko Ready For UFC Return
- Chad Mendes To Be Charged For Involvement In Bar Fight
- Details On Bellator's Reality Show Revealed, Fights Planned
- Chael Sonnen Continues To Taunt Jon Jones, Says Jones Relinquished Title
- Ronda Rousey Thinks Cyborg Can Make The Weight Cut
- Jon Jones Takes Full Responsibility For UFC 151 Cancellation, Sends Message To Hendo
- Gilbert Melendez "Ready For War" Against Pat Healy
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.