The card for UFC 146 just keeps getting bigger and bigger. They have stacked this card with three elite heavyweight match-ups. Previously announced were the main event fight between heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos and Alistair Overeem, as well as another heavyweight showdown between Roy Nelson and former Strikeforce heavyweight Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva. The organization has now announced a UFC heavyweight title eliminator fight between former champs Cain Velasquez and Frank Mir.
Verbal agreements are in for a number-one contender match between former UFC heavyweight champions Frank Mir and Cain Velasquez, confirmed UFC president Dana White today.
UFC 146 is set to take place on May 26, 2012 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Velasquez won the heavyweight title after obliterating former champ Brock Lesnar at UFC 121 back in October 2010. He suffered a rotator cuff injury during that fight and was on hiatus for over a year. When he returned to action it was live on the first FOX broadcast and he got beat by Junior Dos Santos at 1:04 of the very first round. The former champ looks to get his belt back and to do so, he will have to beat Mir at UFC 146.
Mir is currently on a 3 fight win streak, with victories over Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Roy Nelson and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. This will be Mir’s first fight of 2012 and he looks to start it off with a bang.
UFC 146 fight card…
- Champ Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem (for heavyweight title)
- Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez
- Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham
- Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva
- Dan Hardy vs. Duane “Bang” Ludwig
- Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins
- C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason “Mayhem” Miller
- Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
- Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira
- Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at MMA Sucka.