Rua turned down a fight with Glover Teixeira to face Vera, citing "The Truth" as a more viable name to face in his quest to get back in the title hunt at 205.
As far as Vera is concerned, it doesn't really matter why Rua selected him over Teixeira; he plans on winning his ninth UFC fight regardless next month.
"I don't give a damn what his reasons are or what happened or how this came about," said Vera, during a recent interview on MMAjunkie.com Radio. "Everybody keeps reminding me that I'm fighting on FOX in the main event for five rounds. I don't even care about that. I'm fighting 'Shogun,' bro. I've wanted to fight 'Shogun' since I first saw him kicking people in the face (in Pride)."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Vera was expected to meet James Te Huna this month, but was pulled from that bout and placed into this one vs. Vera. He sports a career record of 12-5, including an 8-5 mark in the UFC.
- Tito Ortiz On Griffin Bout "15 Years In The Making"
- GSP Believes Dan Hardy Can Become A Championship Fighter
- Urijah Says Barao Not His Toughest Challenge
- Reminder, Rebellion MMA Radio Returns Tonight With Rick Hawn, Dhiego Lima, Adam Lynn
- Healthy Lifestyle Has Allowed Cung Le To Continue Fighting As He Reaches 40
- Edson Barboza Says ESPY Nominee "Is Really Nice"
- No New News On Eddie Alvarez, Bellator Contract Talks
- Retirement Is Fitting Randy Couture Nicely
- Brandon Vera "Don't Give A Damn" Why "Shogun" Rua Took Fight
- Video: "UFC 148 Primetime: Silva Vs. Sonnen 2" Episode
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.