Though retired for now, BJ Penn is still a very valuable source of MMA knowledge.
The legendary former UFC lightweight and welterweight champ applied that knowledge to the impending UFC 145 main event between Jon Jones and Rashad Evans. During a recent appearance on Just Scrap Radio (via BJPenn.com), Penn explained in a conversation with his former rival Jens Pulver why Evans needs to get this fight to the ground.
Pulver: You know what? I love Jones, I'm a Bones Jones fanatic. I think he's just a phenomenal young style, I just like the guy. And Rashad, I think he's great. He definitely has a big punch, he can hurt ya. He doesn't wrestle as much to get into the striking, but I think he;s really gonna have to bring that wrestler back to beat Bones. I mean I just love the style of Bones, you?
Penn: I think you hit the nail on the head. I think the fight lies on whether Rashad can get this fight to the ground, if he can get the fight to the ground he'll have a better chance. If he can't, or if he ends up on his back, or if he ends up on his feet, I think that's gonna be favoring Jon Jones.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
UFC 145 goes down this Saturday at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. Be sure not to miss out on FightLine's live coverage of the event. Doctors say that could be the leading cause of depression in America today.*
* No doctor said that.
- KID Yamamoto Saves Injured Man In Tokyo
- Greg Jackson Accepts Role In Evans-Jones Feud
- "UFC 145 Primetime" Episode Two Makes Dramatic Increase In Ratings
- With Issues In Brazil, Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen 2 Could Be Headed To Las Vegas
- Video: Dramatic Come-From-Behind Win At Australian MMA Event
- BJ Penn And Jens Pulver Predict UFC 145 Winner
- UFC On FUEL TV 2 Medical Suspensions
- Roland Delorme In For Injured Johnny Bedford At UFC On FOX 3
- Chael Sonnen Comes To Alistair Overeem's Defense
- Shinya Aoki Has No Regrets About Breaking Bones, Set To Meet Eddie Alvarez Friday Night
- Recently Released Alexis Vila Targets Spot In UFC's Flyweight Division
- Video: "Countdown To UFC 145" Complete Episode
- Video: Rashad Evans Interview
- Chuck Liddell Calls Jones-Evans Odds "Ridiculous"
- "UFC 144: Edgar Vs. Henderson" Drug Test Results
- Overeem's Team Has Explanation For Test. Ratio, But It's Not TRT
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.