Rory MacDonald, though, offered up exactly what Penn was looking for. The rising prospect, who issued a challenge to Penn earlier this week, will face the Hawaiian at UFC 152 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
MacDonald, along with being an up-and-coming name in the welterweight division, trains out of Tri-Star Gym in Canada. That is the same stomping grounds of Georges St-Pierre, who has had a pair of hotly-contested bouts with Penn.
"My last fight against Tri-Star (a loss to GSP) didn't go so well," said Penn, while appearing on Just Scrap Radio Thursday (thanks to MMAMania.com for transcribing). "I would love to take another crack at Tri-Star to show them. There is no bad blood...but I'd like to get up there and show Tri-Star Gym and their fans, or whatever, that I am a worthy opponent and that I am not just a guy that is going to walk in the ring and somebody is just going to walk across and crush me."
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
Many wondered if an event hosted by the UFC in Hawaii would make for the perfect comeback fight for Penn, but he has no problems heading to MacDonald's home for the fight.
"I am going to go to the belly of the beast," Penn said. "I just want to go over there and take care of this. I am going to go to the belly of the beast and see a fire-breathing dragon and take out my sword."
Penn announced his retirement last year following a loss to Nick Diaz. Many see MacDonald as the future of the welterweight division if he remains there long enough to secure the UFC title.
- Ronda Rousey's First Title Defense To Take Place August 18
- Dana White Confirms Anderson Silva Still A Go For Chael Sonnen Fight
- UFC Middleweight Aids Two Victims In Swarm Attack
- BJ Penn Talks Reason For Taking Rory MacDonald Fight
- Jorge Masvidal Vs. Justin Wilcox, Ryan Couture Vs. Joe Duarte Added To July Strikeforce Card
- Jared Papazian Promises To "Come To Fight" Dustin Pague Tomorrow Night
- Gilbert Melendez Content With Strikeforce/Showtime
- Demetrious Johnson “Glad” To Get Rematch With Ian McCall
- Randy Couture No Proponent For TRT