For the second consecutive time, Benson Henderson had to wait for Bruce Buffer to say his name before he knew if he had won. Saturday night, at UFC 150: Henderson Vs. Edgar II, "Smooth" successfully defended his UFC lightweight title with a split decision victory over Frankie Edgar.
The final verdict caused a quick firestorm of opinions on social media sites and amongst MMA followers, but Henderson felt confident in the outcome.
"I thought I was ahead, at worst it was even (going into the fifth)," Henderson told FightLine during the post-fight press conference. "I knew I had to win the fifth round."
Henderson echoed the sentiments of UFC president Dana White, adding, "you can't leave it in the hands of the judges. We've seen some suspect judges' decisions and you never know. Our fight was close, I just knew I had to get after it that fifth round."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
With the title defense, Henderson is now positioned to meet Nate Diaz, who was in attendance Saturday night. Diaz defeated Jim Miller earlier this year to secure his status as the top contender.
- Cris Cyborg Wants A Fight With Ronda Rousey "To Punch Her"
- Dominick Cruz Not Pondering Any Change In Weight Classes Yet
- Jon Jones "Confident That I'm Gonna TKO" Dan Henderson
- Former TUF Coach Jason "Mayhem" Miller Arrested
- Leonard Garcia Believes He’s Fighting When The UFC Invades China
- DeWayne Zinkin On Why American Kickboxing Academy Is The Place For Wrestlers To Morph Into Fighters
- The Office Was No Place For A Competitor Like Daniel Cormier
- Jake Shields Looking To Fight A Top Middleweight Fighter
- Gene LeBell Says Ronda Rousey Is The Ideal Female Athlete
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.