UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson has a long ways to go, but his ultimate goal in the UFC is to become the greatest champion of all-time. To do so, he'll have to eclipse Anderson Silva's mark in terms of title defenses.
"Smooth" has caught some negative criticism from MMA fans for his comments regarding Silva and his quest to one-up the UFC middleweight champion.
"I think it's good to have goals," said Henderson, in an interview with MMAWeekly.com recently. "For some reason, I caught a lot of slack when I said I wanted to break Anderson Silva's record and people were saying, 'Oh, you're ridiculous for thinking that.'"
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Henderson couldn't believe fans were mad that he had such a long-term career goal, adding, "I want to be the best ever and one of my goals is to break Anderson's record for title defenses. I'm sorry, I apologize if I offended you somehow."
Silva's mark is set at 10 successful title defenses, and he still has the belt around his waist.
- Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jones
- TUF 16 Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- Matt Hughes: "Looks Like I’m Fully Retired"
- Vinny Magalhaes Asks For Phil Davis Bout
- Shane Carwin's Manager Has Doubts About VADA
- Jake Ellenberger Tops Fighter Salaries For UFC On FX 5
- Jake Shields' Win Over Ed Herman Changed To No-Contest Due To Failed Test
- Roy Nelson Offered To Fight Dana White
- Jon Jones Refers To Daniel Cormier As "Relatively Unknown"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.