Instead, it appears that "Cowboy" and "Showtime" will collide in January, according to a recent interview Cerrone gave with Bleacher Report.
"Nothing's set, they just keep telling us, mid-January, end of January; be ready for January," Cerrone said. "You know January will be a quicker opportunity to fight."
Cerrone, who recently defeated Melvin Guillard, added, "if we were doing the show, "it would have been delayed until June or July." The show would be TUF, which the UFC decided to go with Jon Jones-Chael Sonnen on as coaches instead.
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
"Obviously, we got overrun by a bigger, badder wolf," said Cerrone, in regards to Jones-Sonnen being selected.
Pettis is currently recovering from an injury that has kept him on the sidelines since a win over Joe Lauzon earlier this year. The former WEC champion has also said he should be ready to go early in 2013.
- "Here Comes The Boom" Falls To Seventh Over Weekend
- TUF Fridays Bounces Back With 811,000 Viewers
- UFC 154 Fight Lineup Confirmed, Four Fights Each To FX, Facebook
- Chad Mendes Has Battery Charge Dropped
- Chris Beal's Secret To Success Is Always Being Ready To Fight
- Daniel Straus Says After Next Fight He Maintains No. 1 Contender Status
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.