Following a convincing TKO victory vs. Tito Ortiz in late 2011, Nogueira (20-5) has been waiting in the wings for a chance to improve his stock in the 205-pound division. In Evans, he'll receive the kind of opponent that a win over can vault a fighter into title contention.
"It will be a great challenge, and these are the challenges that make me train harder," said Nogueira, in a recent interview with Sherdog.com. "I was unable to train (earlier this year) due to an injury on my knee, but challenges like this make me train harder and better; as I trained for the fight against Tito Ortiz."
Nogueira had a seven-fight win streak snapped in 2010 when he lost to Ryan Bader, and he followed that up with a defeat at the hands of Phil Davis. That marked the first losing streak of Nogueira's career.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"It must be a really great challenge," Nogueira said. "I'm at a stage in my career, with my experience in making big fights, that this will be a great bout."
Evans (17-2-1) has not fought since April, when he was bested by UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones via decision. The loss snapped a four-fight win streak for "Suga."
- Lorenz Larkin's Manager Not Happy With Luke Rockhold
- Invicta FC 4 Card Released: Strawweight Champion To Be Crowned
- MFC To Crown New Lightweight Champion
- Rory MacDonald Has Future Encounter With Carlos Condit On His Mind
- Luke Rockhold Still Injured, Off January Strikeforce Card
- Dana White Disappointed About Strikeforce
- Johny Hendricks Has No Doubt Who He Wants Next
- X-Gym Trainer Knows Jon Jones' Weakness
- UFC Took Care Of Fabio Maldonado For Accepting Glover Teixeira Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.