Anthony Pettis was believed to be on the same path that current UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson recently took. Pettis, who defeated Henderson for the WEC lightweight title, is currently recovering from shoulder surgery.
After entering the UFC, "Showtime" seemed primed for a title shot. However, a loss to Clay Guida knocked him back a few places, and Henderson was able to leap over him and into a match with Frankie Edgar for the 155-pound belt.
Since that defeat, Pettis has recovered, stopping Joe Lauzon on the same card "Smooth" defeated Edgar. Now, as he nears his return, Pettis wants his crack at the belt.
"I'm just trying to get better and get back in the cage. I'm shooting for October or November," said Pettis, in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com. "I want a title shot, so whoever's gonna get me that next fight to a title shot, I'm up for it. I'm in the UFC and I want a UFC title shot."
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
That last line would make it seem like Pettis has zero interest in fighting Gilbert Melendez for the Strikeforce 155-pound title. Nate Diaz is currently viewed as the next contender in the UFC, but he has said he will wait for his shot at the belt.
Henderson and Edgar are set to collide in a rematch next month for the belt at UFC 150: Henderson vs. Edgar II.
- Alan Belcher Accepts Vitor Belfort's Challenge
- Michael Bisping Happy To Be Fighting Brian Stann On Neutral Territory
- Rory MacDonald "Excited" To Be Fighting In Canada Again
- Joseph Benavidez Not Amused By Michael Bisping's Comments
- Dominick Cruz Wants To Fight Soon, But Leaving That In Hands Of Professionals
- UFC 152 Receives Welterweights Seth Baczynski, Simeon Thoresen
- Jacob Volkmann-Shane Roller Added To UFC 151
- Chael Sonnen Tries To "Encourage" Urijah Faber
- Rory MacDonald Planning To Hurt BJ Penn
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline