Stephan Bonnar will get his wish, as UFC officials have confirmed with USA Today that Bonnar will meet Anderson Silva in the main event of UFC 153. The card takes place October 13 from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The main event fight will take place at light heavyweight, meaning Silva's UFC middleweight title will not be on the line.
Bonnar (14-7) expressed his interest in only taking high-profile fights earlier this year, saying he would be content to retire if nothing became available. After UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo was forced out of a planned encounter with Frankie Edgar, the UFC went to Bonnar and Silva to fill the void.
Silva (32-4) had offered to step in on short notice earlier this month and compete at UFC 151 after that main event was derailed by injury.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"We're back on track," UFC president Dana White said. "Anderson Silva wasn't scheduled to fight at all. I called him today, and he's shooting a commercial in Brazil. Anderson Silva steps up, and Stephan Bonnar wants to fight him."
- Glover Teixeira Draws Fabio Maldonado For October Brazil Card
- Anderson Silva-Stephan Bonnar Light Heavyweight Affair New UFC 153 Main Event
- Chris Leben Returning To Octagon This December To Face Karlos Vemola
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Returning At UFC 153 To Face Dave Herman
- Vitor Belfort Calls Chael Sonnen A Twitter Clown
- Report: Bellator Heavyweight Champion Cole Konrad Retires
- Cyrille Diabaté Looks For The Decision, Not Knockout In Fight With Fábio Maldonado
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline