Sports

Anderson Silva Tried to Save UFC 151

| by

Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva (32-4) was a little too late as he offered to fight a light heavyweight fighter on the now cancelled UFC 151 card, in an attempt to save the show. Dana White said he received the call from Silva moments after he concluded yesterday's special media conference call.

Since Jon Jones (16-1) would not fight on eight days notice, Silva said he would take on another light heavyweight. He also admitted that he wasn't in the best shape at the moment.

White said that he never thought Silva would be willing to fight on the card, but was thankful for the offer. Silva stated earlier this year that he didn't plan to return to the Octagon until early 2013.

UFC 151 is now cancelled and Jones will fight Vitor Belfort (21-9) on September 22 at UFC 152.

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Related Content

Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.