When UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva steps inside the Octagon later this month to face Stephan Bonnar, he will do so as the much smaller fighter. The two will compete in the main event of UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar.
Typically, Silva enters as the larger fighter. However, with the bout being contested at light heavyweight, it will be Bonnar who has the size advantage in this one.
"He's huge, he's going to be so much bigger than Anderson in this fight that it's going to be crazy," said UFC president Dana White, in a recent interview with ESPN. "People don't realize what a huge 'Rocky' story this is. Stephan has been so close for so long. He's been waiting for a big fight to come up and then, boom, this comes up."
Bonnar is a former Ultimate Fighter runner-up, but he has been unable to land that trademark victory. "The American Psycho" has been inside the Octagon with the likes of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, and former division champs Lyoto Machida and Forrest Griffin in the past.
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
"Stephan called us to ask for this fight," White said. "He's on a four-fight win streak and I know how much this means to him. He's going after it and this is the biggest fight of his life."
- Jay Hieron Finally Back Inside The Octagon
- UFC Heavyweight Division Remains Unsettled
- Dana White Admits Relationship With Roy Nelson Is Strained
- Travis Browne Tours Minnesota Vikings Facility
- Stephan Bonnar "I Could Shock The World"
- Vinicius Queiroz Seeks Retribution In Bellator Debut
- Jacob Volkmann Defends Criticism That His Fights Are Boring, Refers To Internet Fans As "Fat Turds"
- John Dodson Looks To Set A UFC Record
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.