When rumors first surfaced that the Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen rematch would have to be moved from a soccer stadium in Rio de Janeiro to Las Vegas, it was also rumored that Silva was adamantly opposed to the idea and that UFC president Dana White was having a hell of a time convincing him to play ball.
Once it was finally announced that the fight had been moved to Vegas, White even admitted to having had difficulty persuading Silva to take the fight off of home soil.
According to a recent report by FightersOnly (which cites O Globo), Uncle Dana did, in fact, have to spend quite awhile arguing with Silva to get him to take the fight. Silva had every intention to make Sonnen pay for everything he's said about him and the Brazilian people on Brazilian soil. With logistics issues plaguing the bout though, Silva eventually relented and pledged to teach Sonnen a lesson wherever they go.
One of the fighter's managers explained one of the reasons why Silva reluctantly accepted the fight in Vegas after what was reportedly a 75-minute back-and-forth with White.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"Anderson knows this partnership with UFC is for life," said Jorge Guimaraes. "There are no motives to get into friction with the event, so we accepted to fight in Vegas. We don't go against the UFC, we go on the same side - after all, Anderson is its employee."
Silva and Sonnen are expected to headline UFC 148, which takes place on July 7 at the MGM Grand.
- It’s Miller Time: Jim Miller Prepares For A Battle At UFC On Fox 3
- Nate Diaz Ready To Cement Himself As Top Lightweight
- Hector Lombard Draws Brian Stann In UFC Debut
- Brendan Schaub Gets Twitter Love From Tebow Despite KO
- Urijah Faber Writes Book: "Laws Of The Ring"
- Video: Fedor Emelianenko On UFC Future, "We'll See"
- Marloes Coenen Calls Out Ronda Rousey
- Dana White Promises Changes On Upcoming Seasons Of The Ultimate Fighter
- "Invicta FC 1" Results: Marloes Coenen Secures Main Event Victory
- Yushin Okami Vs. Luiz Cane On For UFC 150
- Video: Josh Barnett, "I Am A Fighter"
- Wanderlei Silva Prods "A** Face" Chael Sonnen
- Jon Jones Considerable Favorite Over Dan Henderson
- Video: How Mayhem Miller And Mark Muñoz Came To Train Together
- Jose Aldo Vs. Erik Koch For UFC Featherweight Title At "UFC 149"
- Hector Lombard Wastes No Time In Calling Out UFC Middleweight Champ Anderson Silva
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Episode Eight Recap
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.