Alistair Overeem's status for an upcoming UFC heavyweight championship match with Junior dos Santos remains up in the air after Overeem failed a pre-fight drug test. The Nevada State Athletic Commission, which gave "The Reem" the test, will not change a win by Overeem over Brock Lesnar from last year due to it.
"By itself, test result has no effect on that decision," said NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer in an email to The Star Phoenix.
Overeem stopped Lesnar to earn the status as No. 1 contender to the UFC heavyweight title. Dos Santos-Overeem was set for May at UFC 146, but with Overeem's levels of testosterone exceeding the limit, his B-sample will need to come back clean if he hopes to receive a fight license.
UFC president Dana White has yet to make any official announcement, but said, "It doesn't look good, does it? It doesn't look good," in regards to Overeem's future with the company.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Dana White Says Junior Dos Santos Will Defend UFC Title At "UFC 146"
- Video: Jon Jones Stars In "Everyone's A Fighter"
- Alistair Overeem's T/E Ratio Confirmed At 14-To-1
- "Bellator 64" Weigh-In Results: Fighters Hit The Scale For Friday Night Card
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida Selected As Winner Of UFC Harley-Davidson Hometown Throwdown Challenge
- Video: Rashad Evans Breaks Down Jon Jones' Victory Over "Rampage" Jackson
- Video: Tim Kennedy Performs Katy Perry Song
- No Word Yet From Alistair Overeem Concerning Failed Drug Test
- Billy Evangelista-James Terry, JZ Cavalcante-Isaac Vallie-Flagg Added To Strikeforce Event
- Frank Mir Ready And Willing To Step In For Alistair Overeem To Face Junior Dos Santos
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.