It appears that Alistair Overeem-Junior dos Santos fight everybody was looking forward to will have to wait a little while longer. Dos Santos dropped the UFC heavyweight title Saturday night to Cain Velasquez, and Overeem didn't waste a second before making a few comments about "Cigano."
Overeem and dos Santos were originally set to met earlier this year, but the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion failed his pre-fight drug test. Dos Santos has made a handful of remarks concerning Overeem and the failed test.
Overeem is set to meet Antonio Silva in February at UFC 156: Aldo Vs. Edgar, with a title shot likely going to the winner. After watching Velasquez pick dos Santos apart Saturday evening, Overeem took to Twitter.
"JDS looks pretty lol," Overeem posted. "Great fight though. Aaaand, its all over... Great fight, great performance by Cain. Nice:)"
Overeem had predicted that Velasquez would defeat dos Santos when asked earlier this year. Overeem had his suspension expire a few days ago, and is slated to go before the Nevada Athletic Commission in early January to acquire his fight license.
- Bellator Counters UFC’s Contract For Eddie Alvarez
- Jason Lambert And Hector Ramirez Added To Bellator 85
- Pat Healy’s Strikeforce Opponent Finally Revealed
- Paige VanZant Couldn’t Resist Invicta FC’s Offer
- UFC Hall Of Famer Dan Severn Retires
- Lucas Martins Tabbed To Face Edson Barboza At UFC On FX 7
- Bellator And Paul Daley Reach An Agreement
- Bobby Voelker Excited To Make UFC Debut Vs. Patrick Cote
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.