Sherdog reports that bantamweight fighters Alexis Vila and Masakatsu Ueda have both been released from their Bellator contracts after losing their spots in the promotion's season six bantamweight tournament.
A Cuban expatriate, Vila (11-2) was stopped short in the finals of the Bellator season five bantamweight tournament by recently crowned champion Eduardo Dantas. The 41-year-old Olympic wrestler followed that unanimous decision loss with another, this time against Luis Nogueira in the quarterfinals of this season's 135lbs tourney.
Vila met Nogueira over the weekend (April 13) at Bellator 65, which took place at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Ueda (15-2-2) suffered a surprise loss on the other side of the bracket to the unheralded Travis Marx to lose his spot with the promotion. A top-ranked bantamweight by most accounts, Ueda built his name in the Shooto organization and made his Bellator debut in the opening round of the tournament.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Ueda lost to Marx via unanimous decision at Bellator 64, which took place the previous weekend (April 6) at Ceasar's Windsor in Windsor, Ontario.
- Shinya Aoki Has No Regrets About Breaking Bones, Set To Meet Eddie Alvarez Friday Night
- Recently Released Alexis Vila Targets Spot In UFC's Flyweight Division
- Video: "Countdown To UFC 145" Complete Episode
- Video: Rashad Evans Interview
- Chuck Liddell Calls Jones-Evans Odds "Ridiculous"
- "UFC 144: Edgar Vs. Henderson" Drug Test Results
- Overeem's Team Has Explanation For Test. Ratio, But It's Not TRT
- "UFC On FUEL TV 2: Gustafsson Vs. Silva" Ratings
- Video: Rashad Evans, "Georgia On My Mind"
- Revisit Greasegate And More In Dana White's UFC 94 Vlog
- Kenny Florian Voices Support For King Mo
- Newcomer Tim Elliott Will Face John Dodson At "UFC On FOX 3"
- Reminder: "Countdown To UFC 145" Will Debut Tonight On FUEL TV
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.