Alexander Gustafsson has been piling up wins since his submission loss to Phil Davis in 2010. All total, "The Mauler" has gone 5-0 since the defeat, and will look to add a former UFC light heavyweight champion to his resume this Saturday night.
In the co-main event of UFC On Fox: Henderson Vs. Diaz, Gustafsson will face Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. UFC president Dana White confirmed on Thursday that the winner would be the No. 1 contender to the 205-pound title.
"This is the most important fight of my career," Gustafsson said Thursday during a pre-fight press conference. "By far, this is the toughest guy. (But) when I win, I will be ready for the champion."
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
Gustafsson (14-1) has finished Cyrille Diabate, James Te Huna, Matt Hamill and Vladimir Matyushenko, while scoring a decision victory over Thiago Silva, since his first pro defeat. The loss, which came when Davis locked in an anaconda choke, seemed to have given Rua reason to believe he could submit the Swede.
"'Shogun's' been in this sport a long time and he has his tricks," Gustafsson said. "I'll be ready for anything on Saturday."
- Video: BJ Penn, Rory MacDonald Exchange Verbal Threats
- Jake Shields Calls Out Johny Hendricks, Hendricks Responds
- Miesha Tate Denies Turning Down Fight With Ronda Rousey
- Bellator 83 Weigh-In Results: Featherweight Finals Set
- Johny Hendricks Makes Plea For UFC Welterweight Title Shot
- GSP-Nick Diaz The Likely Next Match, According To Dana White
- Dana White "Happy" UFC On Fox 5 Avoided Any Main Card Injuries
- BJ Penn-Rory MacDonald Ready To Exchange Blows At UFC On Fox 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.