Last night, the NCAA mens basketball finals took place between Kentucky and Kansas. A fun game it was! This is when we get stuck into college ball here at NBAtipoff. Here are some observations from last nights battle:
- 1st Half pace is awesome! Blistering to say the least.
- Marcus Teague is a better shooter than his brother, looks like he'll be a super dynamic NBA guard.
- Jeff Withey is a great shot blocker, but needs to work on trying to keep the ball inbounds when blocking (he kept the ball in bounds on one of his four blocks last night).
- MKG’s (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist) early hard foul wasn’t a problem for him and he kept playing and found rhythm.
- Physicality of the game is tremendous. Not too much, not too little.
- College ball should feature jump balls like the NBA!
- The game really slowed down in the latter half of the first half. Less frenetic pace to the game.
- Kansas needs to get their offense going (about the 7 minute 14 mark of the first half). Kentucky is able to get in semi-transition and Kansas has to rush to setup.
- Kansas going into halftime look demoralized. They need to hold themselves differently.
- Kansas showing some signs of life early in the 2nd half
- Kansas defense is much better to start the 2nd half. That fueled their offensive improvements.
- Kansas keeps making little runs, but if they claw back to tie or lead, can they push through and win?
- Kansas is close (down 10), but their conditioning will really be tested if they try and take control of this game.
- Defense intensifying for both teams as crunch time approaches.
- Kansas still needs a huge amount of energy just to squeak out a win. Looks tough.
- Marcus Teague hit a big three. Kansas comes right back and does the same thing though!
- Kansas had a turnover at a time when they really couldn’t! Under a minute to go, that’s tough.
- Kentucky had too much of a lead. Kansas didn’t have enough energy to get back into the game, let alone take the lead!
Get more great NBA and NCAAB stuff over at NBAtipoff.