Other Sports

South African Officials to Face Charges over Caster Semenya

| by

August 16 - Charges will be brought against "certain individuals" at Athletics South Africa (ASA) during a disciplinary inquiry next month in connection with the Caster Semenya scandal, the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) said today.

"The charge sheets are now being completed out of the final forensic audit report and the initial investigating report in the Caster Semenya issue," SASCOC said in a statement.

"The charge sheets will be issued to those individuals that are to be charged and the first sitting of the disciplinary inquiry is scheduled for 9 and 10 September, 2010."

ASA administrator Ray Mali would formally charge certain individuals, as recommended in the forensic report.

SASCOC would not elaborate.

Last week, SASCOC said the audit had uncovered poor corporate governance, the alleged misappropriation of funds and tax evasion.

Eight ASA board members, including president Leonard Chuene, were suspended last November after allegations of financial management and criticism of ASA's handling of the Semenya affair before the audit by Deloittes was completed.

The audit was initially ordered after shredded documents and deleted computer files were discovered at the ASA head office in Johannesburg.

Semenya sat out 11 months after becoming the 800 metres world champion because of a dispute over gender tests that began soon after her victory in Berlin last August.

Chuene (pictured) has admitted to lying about the gender tests performed in South Africa on the then 18-year-old runner before the World Championships, claiming he was trying to protect Semenya.

Semenya was cleared to run by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) last month and is set to return to Berlin's Olympic Stadium to compete this weekend.

Interim administrators put in place by SASCOC have been increasingly criticised by athletes, coaches and officials over their handling of the ASA.

Three of the original nine interim board members - James Evans, Hendrick Ramaala and Geraldine Pillay - have already resigned.

Suspended ASA officials who have not resigned include president Chuene and general manager Molatelo Malehopo.

SASCOC also promised it would fight an action by Chuene and two other ASA officials, who are seeking arbitration over their suspensions, and hand over the forensic report to South Africa Sports Minister Makhenkesi Stofile.