Jessica Newsome of Brevard County, Florida, bought three boxes of low-fat, strawberry Pop-Tarts from a Winn-Dixie store in nearby Cocoa for her 9-year-old daughter. They ended up getting more than they bargained for in one of the boxes, however.
Newsome's daughter reportedly took a few bites of the Pop-Tart on July 5 before she noticed there were maggots inside the popular treat.
"She screamed, she said, 'Mommy, daddy, there's something living in my Pop-Tart and it crawled in my mouth!'" Newsome told WFTV (video below).
Newsome was understandably upset.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"Literally maggots all over the box," she said. "It was downright disgusting.
"You can actually see how many are living in the icing.”
The Pop-Tarts were marked with a Oct. 3, 2015 expiration date.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
"They're literally living inside the filling and living inside the crust, where they were coming out of the crust," Newsome said. "So, the question is where are maggots coming from? It had to come from the factory."
Kellogg’s, the maker of Pop-Tarts, denied the charge. They said in a statement they "believe this is an isolated incident that occurred after the product left our control."
Winn-Dixie is puling the product from their shelves, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported.
"It's terrifying to see maggots through a Pop-Tart," Newsome said. "I think they should take everything off the shelves from that brand, because they need to inspect all the food.”
Screenshot via WFTV