During a church service on July 24 in Dallas, a family of worshipers left their 3-year-old son in the car during triple-digit weather. By the time the toddler's father realized the boy was in the car, it was too late: the child was dead of heatstroke.
The incident happened at the Rehoboth Praise Assembly Faith Miracle Center, reports KDFW. Four of the family’s five children were in their Bible study classes when it dawned on them the youngest child was not there.
When the unresponsive boy was found in the family’s stifling hot SUV, they called 911 and the Dallas Fire-Rescue responded, reports WFAA. The emergency responders performed CPR and rushed the victim to hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The outside temperature was 100 degrees that day, reports The Dallas Morning News.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
The temperature inside a car can rise 19 degrees in the first 10 minutes, according to heatstroke expert Jan Null, of San Jose State University. "For a 5-month-old, that's probably unsurvivable,” Null notes. And after a few hours, the temperature inside the car can increase up to 50 degrees higher than the outside air.
Officials are investigating the child’s death.
As congregation member Reng Om told the news channel: “I’m really upset for him and the family. You know today is Sunday and every Sunday we pray. We believe in God.”
An average of 37 children in the United States die each year from being left in a hot car, according to the website Kids and Cars. So far in 2016, the number of such deaths is 19, the site reports.