Infant Dies After IKEA Dresser Tips Over

| by John Freund
Ted McGee, killed by an Ikea dresserTed McGee, killed by an Ikea dresser

A 2-year-old boy was killed when an IKEA dresser tipped over and crushed him.

Ted McGee of Apple Valley, Minnesota, was crushed by the IKEA Malm dresser and discovered by his mother, who had been checking on him every few minutes while attending church.  

"When I went in to check on him the last time, I opened the door quietly and at that angle I saw his bed was empty and at that angle, I thought I'd open it further and see him playing on the other side of the door and hiding and peer up and giggle," she said.

But instead, a very different scene emerged.

"I immediately ran over and hoisted it up and started digging through the drawers that had all fallen out and screamed someone call 911," said Janet McGee. "And at the bottom of the drawers was our Ted laying pretty quiet and still."

He would become the third child death caused by a Malm dresser tip-over.

According to IKEA's website, the Malm dresser is "full of smart ideas, like under the bed storage and a chest of drawers that works as a bedside table, too. There’s a choice of wood veneer finishes to help you find your favorite." 

But the website also has a safety warning, which reads:  

Every two weeks a child in the U.S. dies from industry-wide furniture, appliances, or TVs tipping over, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.  When it comes to our homes, safety is paramount.  The best way to prevent furniture tip-over is to anchor chests and dressers to the wall.

The page then provides a link to a free wall-anchoring kit.  

But that means little to Ted's father. "Parents need to get these dressers out of their homes," said Jeremy McGee, "because we couldn't sleep at night if this happened to another family." 

Sources: KMSP, IKEA / Photo credit: KMSP

Is Ikea responsible for Ted's death?
Yes - 0%
Yes - 0%