This Is What Showed Up On A 16-Month-Old Boy's X-Ray (Photo)

| by Charles Roberts

Spongebob Squarepants, the beloved cartoon character, not only lives in a pineapple under the sea, but also briefly took up residence in a 16-month-old boy’s esophagus. 

The toddler was sent to a local hospital after swallowing his sister’s Spongebob Squarepants pendant, LiveScience reports.

Dr. Ghofran Ageely, a radiology resident at the hospital, was surprised to discover exactly what the object was. She told LiveScience in an email she initially thought it was a pin or hair accessory before viewing the X-rays. 

“Then I opened the frontal view and was shocked," Ageely wrote. "'SpongeBob,' I screamed!!! I was amazed by the visible details. You can see his freckles, shoes and fingers…AMAZING."

Ageely posted about the find on, a Wikipedia-type forum where radiologists and medical students discuss medical cases.

Other radiologists were just as impressed by the X-rays as Ageely. “We see a lot of amazing X-rays on our site, but this one is particularly amazing," said Dr. Andrew Dixon, the managing editor of Radiopaedia and a radiologist at The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, Australia.

Dixon explained that Spongebob’s appearance, including his stuck-out tongue, is so clear because the details were cast in metal as opposed to being painted onto the pendant.

“As a father, I know kids put things in their mouth all the time," Dixon said. "But as radiologist, we see this not infrequently."

Spongebob was removed from the toddler’s esophagus without any complications.

Source: LiveScience / Image via LiveScience