A Utah man says he has recovered after he was sent to the hospital following an eggnog chugging contest.
Ryan Roche, of Lehi, Utah, says he was challenged by his coworkers to participate in the alcohol-free eggnog chugging contest at a holiday office party earlier this month, the Daily Mail reports.
Roche, whose triumph was caught on video (below), downed a quart of eggnog in 12 seconds without taking a breath, beating the previous record of 22 seconds. Roche won bragging rights and a $50 gift card to Ruth’s Chris Steak House.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"Everyone knows I'm pretty competitive," the 33-year-old told ABC News. "I just decided I was going to win. So I pretty much just opened it up and poured it down my throat.”
But he soon began coughing and gasping. That’s when a friend drove him to the hospital hours later as Roche was shaking and had difficulty breathing.
The doctors told Roche that he chugged the eggnog so fast that he aspirated the drink into his lungs. They said he was “dry drowning” from the eggnog, which later caused an infection.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
"Initially I felt very nauseous and pretty sick," he told the New York Daily News. "After I was put on antibiotics and an IV I was no longer nauseous.”
He became well-known around the hospital for his unusual illness.
"I can't tell you how many doctors or nurses would walk into my room and say, 'Eggnog, huh?' Then they'd say, 'Well, at least you won,'" he said.
(via New York Daily News)
Roche spent a day in the Intensive Care Unit and then two more days at the hospital to recover before he was released to go home.
While his competitiveness got him a steakhouse gift certificate, Roche learned an important lesson: “Eggnog — not ideal for the lungs.”