Hey Bruins, there are a lot of big things happening in the world today #BeyondWestwood. It seems UCLA Student Leaders are making far-reaching decisions without taking the time to understand the issues.
Since you might get interviewed on campus like the students in the video below did, maybe it's time to get informed. #ItsCoolToKnowWhatYouAreTalkingAbout
The Bruins that came before you literally invented the Internet. What will today’s Bruins be remembered for?
1. In Nigeria, Boko Haram murders and rapes civilians on a daily basis. There have been 3,600 murders and counting thus far; nobody knows how many rapes. Some of the victims are known to be toddlers.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
2. In the Gulf States, thousands of Americans are diseased and dying. They were infected by chemical dispersants used by British Petroleum following the Gulf Oil Spill in 2010.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
3. Homosexuality is illegal in 76 countries. It is punishable by death in Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and 7 other countries. Click here to see the 76 countries where homosexuality is illegal
4. Syria's ruling party killed 150,000 Syrians in the last three years. President Bashar al-Assad does not discriminate between men, women, and children.
5. Religious freedom is under serious attack across the Middle East. Seventy-one Coptic Christian Churches were attacked, burned or looted in Egypt in the last year. (Google "Coptic Christians" to see how it's going for Christians in Egypt right now)
6. California is facing an absolutely devastating drought. It is affecting our $8B farming industry and our food and water sources. The rest of the country is going through serious challenges due to climate change as well. There are constant reports of hurricanes and tornadoes all over the United States. At one point last year, Manhattan was under water. Yet, despite all this, we have not enacted the necessary laws to curb climate change.
7. Graduating College Seniors are not prepared for the work force. #GoodLuck
8. Russia has begun putting the U.S.S.R. back together. That's not a great thing for democracy in Eastern Europe (FYI Bruins -- Americans like Democracy). #ThatsWhyYouGetToVote
9. Iran arrested six students for dancing to the song ‘Happy’ by Pharrell. Yes, seriously. #FreedomOfExpression
But despite all of the horrible things going on in the world, UCLA Students choose to focus on Israel as the sole and only root of all evils. It has gotten so laughable, in fact, that comedian Mark Schiff took to the UCLA campus to show how much UCLA Students actually know about Israel. #Nothing
Bruins -- I want to hear from you! You voted for the Student Leaders who sided with the same organization who just made headlines at Vassar for anti-Semitism and who put “eviction” notices on the dorm rooms of Jewish Students from NYU.
Even the UC Chancellor and the UCLA President condemned the pledge.
UCLA Students -- If you aren’t too busy Instagramming or Tindering, please respond. The world will decide what to remember this Bruin class for. #CuringCancer #McCarthyism #BuildingTheNextFacebook #ComplacentIgnorance #ProgressAndTolerance #GayBashing #AsianStereotyping #IndianMocking #JewHatred