Toilet Paper Cleanup Sparks Dora House Fire

| by

An Alabama woman was cleaning her yard and home after they were toilet papered by neighborhood kids when the toilet paper sparked a fire that quickly grew out of control.

Cheryl Crausewell and her family lost their Dora home of 12 years on Monday after she and her son attempted to clean up toilet paper from a tree.

Toilet paper was stuck on a magnolia tree and Crausewell decided to light the toilet paper in order to remove it. Wind blew the piece into the yard, setting the grass on fire.

“It just popped out into a little patch and we tried to put it out and it just kept going, so I was trying to keep it from going down the front porch and it came down the bank around the back of the house,” she told Fox 6.

The fire quickly spread to the backyard where it is believed a propane gas tank from a grill only made matters worse.

All that’s left for Crausewell and her family are memories.

“You know, my son was about a year and a half when we moved here and he doesn’t really remember living anywhere else, and this is where we though we would be for a long time, long time,” she told the station.

Crausewell lived with her son and elderly aunt in the house. She said they have already received lots of support from family, friends and her church. Dora’s mayor visited the site of where Crausewell’s house once stood to show support.

The family plans on rebuilding the house on the same property.

Firefighters were still putting out hot spots from the fire Monday afternoon, which had been burning for more than four hours.

Source: Fox 6