Society

Toddler's Leg To Be Amputated Following Pressure Cooker Accident

| by Amanda Andrade-Rhoades
Samantha Gonzalez in hospitalSamantha Gonzalez in hospital

A little girl is reportedly set to have her leg amputated following a pressure cooker accident.

On Sept. 14, Samantha Gonzalez was being bathed by her grandmother in the kitchen sink of her Fort Lauderdale, Florida, home when a pressure cooker that was being used overflowed, Local 10 reported. The steam and liquid burned 60 percent of the 2-year-old’s body.

"I guess it was an accident," Samantha's mother, Tiana Gonzalez, told Local 10 News. "I felt really, really sad since she's my only baby girl.”

Samantha has been in the burn unit at the Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, where she’s been undergoing treatment for the last three weeks, but now her leg will have to be amputated. She is currently in critical condition and relies on a ventilator.

Popular Video

This judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:

The toddler’s injures are so severe that her kidneys and liver are failing.

"She's having trouble moving her arms, she has severe burns on her hands. She might lose some fingers and her arms," family friend Carolina Rodriguez said. 

The family’s woes are compounded by the fact that Tiana is disabled and lives three hours away. They’ve created a crowd-funding page on GoFundMe to offset the cost of her medical care.

"We are doing our best so that they don't have to worry about the money, they can just worry about Samantha," Rodriguez said. 

As of this writing, the campaign has raised just over $1,700 of the $40,000 goal.

"As much as they can send I don't mind, because it's all for her,” Tiana said.

Sources: Local 10GoFundMe / Photo Credit: GoFundMe