Elementary school students at a Covington, GA school are taking the phrase “sugar rush” to a whole new level.
A Porterdale Elementary School third grader was suspended for two days after his teacher caught him sniffing Smarties candy powder.
Chelsi Lewis, mother of nine-year-old Demitri Santiago, was shocked when she received a phone call notifying her of her son’s activities.
“I said, ‘What? Where could he have gotten this from?'” Lewis told 11 Alive. “He told me he had witnessed a student in class, he had actually watched her. He’d watched her crush it up and inhale it.”
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Lewis said her son came home Monday afternoon with a note stating he had been suspended for “possession of banned objects.”
“I said, what made you so curious about it? And he said her reaction was like, wooo!” Lewis recalled.
The ongoing trend among school children has been referred to as “smoking” Smarties, though kids don’t actually light a match to the candy. Students crush the candy into a fine powder in the wrapper and inhale it through the nose or mouth and then blow it out in a cloud of dust.
Although Lewis believes this was all just an innocent act and Demitri said he wouldn’t do it again, the school released a statement:
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
“This matter is currently under investigation. The health, safety, and well-being of our students are all very important to us. This activity had the potential to be very dangerous for children and parents need to be aware of the possible health risks. While we cannot release individual student discipline information due to federal privacy laws, those involved have been disciplined accordingly.”
Doctors have warned kids and teenagers to stop “smoking” Smarties because it can lead to infections, chronic coughing, choking and even maggots feeding off sugary dust in the nose.
In recent years, numerous “how-to” videos have been posted on YouTube showing teenagers smoking and sniffing the Smarties candy.
Sources: Fox News, 11 Alive