A West Texas school district is about to dole out $30,000 to students who suffered health damages from a recent mercury exposure at John B. Junior High School.
On March 18, a student brought a bottle containing mercury to the school. He told officials he found the plastic bottle in an alley while walking to school. Administrators believe the child was unaware that the substance inside was mercury.
Popular VideoPeople were so furious about this Pepsi ad that Pepsi pulled it after just one day. Watch it here and decide if it's offensive:
After the student brought the toxic element to school, over 70 students had to be taken to the hospital. A subsequent detox clean up at the school cost over $900,000.
On Wednesday, the Ector County Independent School District trustees voted to allot $30,000 to help cover student medical bills from the exposure. The health costs of teachers are covered under their workers compensation plan.