A Lubbock, Texas, mother says she is looking for a new day care facility after her daughter came home with a bite on her face that was more serious than she was led to believe.
Emily Compton told KAMC News recently that her daughter Raelyn had been going to Creative Learning Center in Lubbock for about a year, and the experience had been mostly positive until she got a call at work on Sept. 22 saying her daughter had been bitten during a fight with another child over a toy.
Compton said staff at the day care told her the bite did break the skin but it was minor. She added that they told her it had been cleaned up and the little girl was fine and Compton did not need to leave work early to pick up her daughter.
But when Compton arrived that evening it was worse than she expected.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
“It was kind of ‘gunky,’ for lack of a better word,” she told KAMC. “It’s got puss coming out of it. It’s scabbed over and pretty gross.”
Stace Jones, an administrator for Creative Learning Center, spoke with KAMC and said the day care worked with Compton to address her concerns.
“We did tell [Compton] it broke the skin with this incident, we did call the parent as soon as it happened, we did apply cold ice, we did call her and find out what it was that was really bothering her,” Jones said.
“My biggest thing is that she required medical attention and I was told it was minor," Compton told KAMC. "I talked to [their] corporate office and he said, ‘Well it is minor as compared to a broken arm.’ And yes, while it is minor as compared to a broken arm, it is a severe bite and the fact that it's already infected and it's already causing fever and pain and who knows what is enough."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Compton has since removed Raelyn from the day care. She said she took her story public hoping that other parents might learn from the experience.
An informational bulletin from the Canadian Pediatric Society, republished on the U.S. National Institutes of Health web site, notes that such incidents are quite common. Some surveys show that up to half of all children in day cares were bitten over a one-year period. Most bites occur in September at the beginning of the school year, the site indicates. Only about one in 50 bites ever break the skin, and they rarely lead to bacterial infections.
Bites that break the skin could transmit hepatitis B and, on very rare occasions, the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Parents are advised in the bulletin to consult a doctor if either child involved in the biting incident has not been vaccinated against hepatitis B.
Photo credit: KAMC News