A pill bottle.
Society
Society

Teacher Gives Kids Candy In Medical Packaging (Photos)

| by Michael Doherty
A pill bottle.

A mom is demanding answers after her 11-year-old son brought home candy from school that was inside packaging intended for medication.

Sydney Durkovich said her son, Jack, brought home candy from Lake Elementary School in Oceanside, California, that was inside medical packaging, according to KGTV. The boy's fifth-grade teacher had allegedly given his class Skittles candy in a blister pack.

The packaging also had labels from the state. Sydney argued that the candy would give children the idea to eat prescription drugs like candy.

"My jaw dropped," said the mom. "I'm like, 'Jack, what is this?'"

Jack recalled, "My mom was like, 'No, this is not OK.'"

"Kids are very impressionable," said Sydney. "I just don't know what [the teacher] was trying to teach."

The mother sent out emails to Jack's teacher, along with the principal and the school district, to find out why her son was given the candy in medical-style packaging.

An administrator reportedly told Sydney the school was looking into what happened.

In a similar controversy from 2015, a South Carolina college was forced to apologize after a professor handed out candy to children inside of bottles intended for prescription medication.

Horry Georgetown Technical College issued an apology after an unidentified medical technology professor gave out prescription pill bottles filled with M&Ms labeled "Happy Pills" to children at a fun run, according to NBC News.

The bottles also had the instructions, "Take 1 M&M every 2 to 4 hours."

"While we know this professor meant the candy to serve as a treat, the method of distribution may have confused pre-school children whose parents have taught them not to take pills from pharmaceutical bottles," the college said in a statement.

"We regret further that professors and administrators are human and, although eager to share information about growing careers, sometimes make mistakes," the college said. "This particular mistake will not occur again."

A parent whose son received one of the bottles, Tiffany Myers, said her husband is a firefighter and paramedic, and he "comes across children that get into medicine bottles quite frequently, and it can be very damaging, or it can be life-threatening."

"I know they had good intentions," Myers said of the professor, "but maybe it should have been handled in a different way."

Poisonings are on the rise for kids as more adults take prescription medications for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, according to a 2013 study published in the medical journal Pediatrics. Children aged 5 and younger were the most likely to be poisoned by prescription drugs.

"Increasing rates of adult drug prescriptions are strongly associated with increases in drug exposures and poisonings among children and appear to be a direct cause of exposures and poisonings," wrote the team behind the study, reports NBC News.

Sources: KGTV, NBC News (2) / Photo credit: Charles Williams/Flickr, KGTV, Karen Goad Williams/Facebook via NBC News

Should the teacher be fired for this?
Yes - 52%
Yes - 48%

Popular Video

Popular Video