Mother Blamed After Restaurant Serves 10-Year-Old Girl Alcohol

| by Lisa Fogarty

A restaurant in Manchester, England, that served an alcoholic beverage to a 10-year-old girl says her mother is the one to blame for the mistake.

Ashley Dodds, 29, says she ordered a non-alcoholic drink for her daughter Dennon when the two recently dined at Red Hot World Buffet with a friend and her child. But, a while later, she took a sip of the cocktail and realized it contained liquor, reports the Mirror.

To make matters worse, instead of apologizing for the error, the restaurant's managers reportedly pointed fingers at Dodds and said it was all her fault because she left her child alone at the table to smoke a cigarette outside with her friend.

"It is unbelievable," Dodds told the Manchester Evening News. "They are so unprofessional. How dare they blame it on me. It makes me out to be a bad mother but they made the mistake."

Dodds says the same drink -- a virgin Sweet Kisses cocktail -- was ordered for both Dennon and her friend, who is also 10. The mom and her friend ordered the girls another round of the drink on their way out to smoke a cigarette and say that, when they returned to the table, Dennon revealed that she had been drinking alcohol. As it turns out, the children had been served two Sex on the Beach cocktails, reports the Manchester Evening News. 

"I wouldn't even let Dennon look at the menu because it said Sex on the Beach, and a Virgin Mojito, and I don't want her reading that stuff," Dodds said.

The order had reportedly been mistaken for two non-alcoholic Safe Sex on the Beach drinks, but was then accidentally served as the alcoholic Sex on the Beach cocktails.

A spokesperson for Red Hot World Buffet admitted the restaurant made a mistake, but insists Dodds played a major role in the mix-up: "We did serve something wrong, however putting it into context the issue was the lady went outside for a cigarette and left the children unattended. We were quite bothered by that as it's quite unusual to leave two small children out of sight. This was an accident and there was some confusion with the order, but there is a responsibility for parents to stay with their children." 

Sources: Mirror, Manchester Evening News

Photo Credit: Manchester Evening News, WikiHow